English is the most important language globally because it’s the official language of 53 countries spoken by more than 400 million people around the world, most internet websites are based on it and it’s easy to learn. Many countries include English as a second language in their school curriculum so that children start learning it at a young age.
This list has hand-picked resources you can use to start learning now.
Are you ready?
Bookmark this article as a resource you can refer to later in your journey to excel in English. The resources below are timeless.
1. BBC Learning English – A great website to do lots of learning. Since 1943, it has taught English to global audiences, offering free audio, video and text materials to students around the world.
2. About.com – English as 2nd Language has lots of content to help you learn English. It includes small talk conversation points, methods to write, many videos and more.
3. American Corpus – Large collection of English corpus containing web-based, contemporary and historical sets.
4. English Link – It offers video courses for ESL (English as a Second Language) learners around the world.
5. Bell’s English Online – Accredited by the British Council. It offers courses which will help you learn English for life, work or further education.
6. British Council LearnEnglish – A self-help website by British Council, filled with games, stories, listening exercises and grammar leraning.
“Learning a foreign language, and the culture that goes with it, is one of the most useful things we can do to broaden the empathy and imaginative sympathy and cultural outlook of children.”
― Michael Gove
7. Cambridge English Online – The website is filled with colorful illustrations to help you learn basic English through games, stories, songs, flashcards and more.
8. Duolingo – A great way to learn Spanish, French, German, Portuguese, Italian, Irish, Dutch, Danish and English. Learning experience is quite intuitive and addictive. Apart from website they have apps for iPhone and Android.
9. Effortless English Podcast – Effortless English by AJ Hoge is a series of 246 easy-to-understand podcasts available free on iTunes.
10. English Central – It helps you learn through web-based conversational language. Their proprietary system listens to your speech and scores it based on their punctuation and syntax.
11. Stack exchange – A question and answer site for linguists, etymologists, and serious English language enthusiasts. It’s a large community of people of learners and experts.
12. Exam English – Regularly check your skill through international level practice tests such as IELTS, TOEFL, TOEIC, CEFR, Pearson and Cambridge, for free.
13. News in Levels – Helps you improve listening and writing skills through 3 levels of video or audio content.
14. Holmwood’s – Mark Holmwood developed a course based on hundreds of hours of exercises, videos and lessons on English and Chinese.
“I worked as hard as I could. I’m not fluent but I felt like I made real headway. The language is beautiful.”
― Lisa Williams
15. How Do You Do? – It connects you with international learners and native speakers to learn languages through audio and video chatting.
16. Lang-8 – A great platform where native speakers correct what you write.
17. LEO Network Learn English – A completely free and simple guide to learn English through text, pictures and games.
18. Listen and Write – Listen-and-write is a listening skills improvement website which let’s you listen to specific videos.
19. Mastering Business Writing & Grammar – A course with over 36 videos to improve business communication through effective writing and grammar.
20. My English Pages – Another marvelous self-help website that has complete material for learning grammar, vocabulary, speaking, reading, listening and writing. To further enhance, they offer free exercises, forums and blog.
21. GRE FlashCards – GRE Magoosh Flashcards is an eminent way to enhance vocabulary. It will help you master 1000 most important GRE words through its website and mobile apps.
22. PhraseMix – PhraseMix applies a different approach to English learning where they teach you through meaningful phrases instead of unconnected words.
23. Purdue OWL – Online Writing Lab by Purdue University is an excellent resource to develop writing skills at every skill level.
24. Quizlet – Quizlet has 5000+ study resources to learn any aspect of English language.
25. Speak English With Misterduncan – Misterduncan is a YouTube channel which is helping students learn English, around the world since 2006.
26. TalkEnglish.com – At TalkEnglish each lesson is structured to let you practice in all three aspects – reading, speaking and listening.
27. Verbling – Verbling pairs you with a native-speaker, professional teacher to help you progress quickly.
“If you talk to a man in a language he understands, that goes to his head. If you talk to him in his own language, that goes to his heart.”
― Nelson Mandela
28. Vocabulary.com – Helps you master new words from essentials to academic and business level.
29. Voice of America – VOA let’s you learn English through listening to news stories.
30. Voscreen – It’s an enjoyable experience to learn English through short video clips.
31. 101 Ways to Learn English – 101 tips from English Language Centers; to motivate you in learning english.
This list will be updated regularly. Stay tuned and don’t forget to share the wealth of knowledge, you have just discovered.