MOOC (Massive Open Online Course) is a new form of education for students who want to advance their skills at any level or cannot access traditional education due to time, financial problems, geographic accessibility, disability or other reasons.
Massive: Availability of large amount of educational material and global reach through internet.
Open: Available for anyone around the world at no cost, as long as they have an internet connection. Some providers offer optional certification exams on a small payment.
Online: These courses are based on videos, articles, games, social learning, quizzes, assignments and other proprietary methods which can be conveniently accessed at anytime, from anywhere.
This is the most comprehensive list of 80+ hand-picked providers of MOOC courses.
Bookmark this article as a resource you can refer to later in your journey to learn new things everyday and lead a successful life. The resources below are timeless.
“Education is the most powerful weapon which you can use to change the world.”
— Nelson Mandela
- edX – Owned by MIT & Harvard University. It’s one of the largest provider of MOOC education internationally. Topics include biology, business, chemistry, computer science, economics, finance, electronics, engineering, food and nutrition, history, humanities, law, literature, maths, medicine, music, philosophy, physics, science, statistics and more.
2. NovoEd – Founded by Stanford University professor Amin Saberi and PhD student Farnaz Ronaghi. Unlike any other MOOC provider, here students can collaborate in small teams with students around the world and submit assignments.
3. Udacity – Offers proprietary “Nanodegree” programs for learning technology skills that matter by doing projects employers value, without leaving your current job.
4. Udemy – Mostly known for their collection of paid courses but they have many great courses available for free, such as:
Build Your First Website in 1 Week with HTML5 and CSS3 & Become an iOS Developer from Scratch
5. Coursera – The most popular provider of massive open online courses globally. Coursera has more than 10 million users in 890 courses from 117 institutions.
6. Harvard Open Courses – Under Open Learning Initiative (OLI), Harvard has launched a plethora of free courses to everyone around the world. Topics covered such as art, humanities, museum studies, business studies, management, computer science, engineering, mathematics languages, journalism, literature, speech, writing, pre-medical studies, science, environmental studies, social sciences and study skills.
7. MIT OpenCourseware – Large scale on-line publication of MIT course materials. It includes many free courses available to anyone, anywhere.
8. Khan Academy – Learning from their micro lectures and practice exercise is quite engaging. Their motto is “A free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere”.
9. +Acumen – Offers free learning material for social change leaders and entrepreneurs.
10. Acade.me – A new platform which provides access to major courses to everyone, around the globe.
11. Academic Earth – It offers curated collection of best free courses from world’s top universities such as Harvard, MIT, Princeton, UC Berkeley and Yale.
12. Acamica – An Argentina based free learning platform for students who are unsatisfied with their formal education system. They simulate learning using videos, interactive games, simple guides and gamification techniques.
“My mother said I must always be intolerant of ignorance but understanding of illiteracy. That some people, unable to go to school, were more educated and more intelligent than college professors.”
— Maya Angelou
13. Alison – It’s aim is to enable every person to gain basic knowledge, eduction and workplace skills. Offering more than 600 certified courses in more than 10 languages. Their slogan is “A new world of free certified learning”.
14. Allversity – Helping users to learn, teach, and connect using free digital courses and tools in the field of mathematics, science, and history.
15. ApnaCourse – They give trainings and certifications online which helps employees internationally. Targeted towards working professionals who wants to gain skills and climb up the corporate ladder.
16. Aquent Gymnasium – Provides courses focused on most in-demand creative and technology skills such as responsive design, jQuery, UX and coding for designers.
17. Box Hill Institute – BHI is a leading education provider in Australia which is offering few of their courses for free; to let people experience the quality of their education.
18. C++ Institute – Advanced e-learning programme with milestones, motivational tools and skills verification in C++.
19. Canvas Network – It offers open, online courses taught by educators anywhere in the world. It collaborates with educators, institutions and technologists to cut educational barriers.
20. Carnegie Mellon University – Open Learning Initiative – CMU is offering more than 20 courses which gives you targeted feedback. This system helps you to know if you are mastering the topic or if you need more practice.
21. Commonwealth of Learning – The only inter-governmental organization solely concerned with development of open learning, distant education and knowledge. It provides resources and education to Commomwealth’s 54 member states.
22. Complexity Explorer – Dedicated to online courses and other educational materials related to complex science systems. Developed in collaboration by Santa Fe Institude and Portland State University.
23. Digital Business Academy – Empowers learners with the business skills to start, run or join a digital business. “When and how to start a digital business.” and “Developing digital products and marketing and branding.” are among the 8 free courses offered.
24. Duke University – Leading pioneer in education is providing many courses for free. Subjects such as healthcare, chemistry, human physiology, astronomy, neuroscience, data analysis and more, are covered.
25. EduKart Open – A platform developed by India based distance learning and online education company; to deliver information about free MOOCs globally.
26. ELD – An initiative by The Economics of Land Degradation (ELD) to provide free education based on subjects such as land degradation, water prevention, environment and health.
27. First Business MOOC – Offering best practices of business in various languages.
28. Forum Academy – World Economic Forum has launched their own MOOCs on subject such as global IT outlook, future of automotive industry, understanding social innovation and more.
29. FutureLearn – Owned by The Open University, England which provides step-by-step free online courses from topics such as science, technology, art, humanity, spiritual science and business.
30. FX Academy – Founded by DailyForex.com who have monitored and reporting Forex market since 2006. FX Academy is a comprehensive learning platform to learn about Forex trading at any-time, from anywhere.
31. Grovo – It’s an innovative learning platform that offers a micro learning system which manages 4,800 video lessons covering more than 160 subjects. Its focus is to enhance skills of users and businesses on internet tools, cloud systems and other professions.
32. George Washington University (GW Online) – GWU started offering free open courses to public on select topics as part of their mission to provide worldwide thought leadership and access to education.
33. IAI Academy – The Institute of Art and Ideas offers MOOCs in philosophy, science and politics.
34. Instreamia – Provides system to learn languages through online articles and videos.
35. Investoo – A free online tool to practice forex trading. It was featured on Equities.com, MoneyWeek.com and TraderPlanet.com.
36. iTunes U – Apple’s own platform to make the education intuitive. Their library includes many free courses in various topics.
37. iversity – Inversity is a winner of the “MOOC Production Fellowship” held in early 2013. Their courses include critical thinking, public speaking, idea generation and business analysis.
38. Janux – The University of Oklahoma and NextThought in collaboration developed various courses for free. Made available through Janux.
“Education is the best friend. An educated person is respected everywhere. Education beats the beauty and the youth.”
39. Learning by Giving Foundation – MOOC focused on philanthropy for people who want to make a difference in the community. “Giving With Purpose” – To help non-profit organization of your choice. Backed by Warren Buffett and family.
40. Leuphana Digital School – Leuphana University offers various digital courses free of charge and participants get opportunity to obtain a university certificate after successful completion.
41. Marist College’s FOLD (Fashion Online Learning Domain) – Educate yourself with the communication and art of fashion from a global perspective.
42. MongoDB University – It offers in-depth classes with hands-on experience with MongoDB case studies based on years of field experience.
43. MOOC-Ed – Courses on research based models of professional development and learning through project-based learning, collaboration and peer-supported learning, rather than tests and grades.
44. MRUniversity – Marginal Revolution University offers an education website with courses on economics. It includes articles, videos and presentations.
45. One Month – Self-paced courses which can be finished in 30 days with just 15 minutes a day. Ruby on rails, HTML & CSS, growth hacking, iOS and web security are some of the topics covered.
46. Open Education – Through Open Education readers are exposed to both subjective and objective look at various issues facing professional systems today.
47. The Open University – It’s the largest academic institution based in UK and a world leader in flexible distance education. It provides many free courses in various subjects.
48. Open Yale Courses – Yale University provides free access to a selection of their introductory courses through this platform.
49. Open2Study – Backed by Open Universities Australia (OUA). It offers more than 45 free courses for anyone around the world.
50. OpenCourseWorld – Their courses are structured in the same way as seminars and lectures in major universities. There is a start and an end date to every course.
51. openHPI – Hasso Plattner Institute, Germany’s highest ranked computer science institute provides in-depth knowledge based courses multi-faceted topics in information technology.
52. OpenLearning – A MOOC platfrom which allows anyone to create, run and enrol in any course from anywhere.
53. openSAP – Information Technology (IT) based MOOCs provided by SAP and HPI, Germany. It has been awarded by “Innovation in Learning Bronze Award 2014” at The Learning Awards 2014 and “Best in Extended Enterprise Learning Program”.
54. OpenSecurityTraining – Training resources for computer security and other security topics, that can be learned in a day.
55. OpenUpEd – Their vision is to reach every learner who is interested to take part in online higher education, irrespective of their needs and particular situation. Large number of courses are available in various languages.
56. P2PU – Peer 2 Peer University (P2PU) allows students to organize and take part in courses and study groups about any specific topic.
57. Polimi OPEN KNOWLEDGE – Bridging the gap from high school to university, from bachelor of science to master of science and from university to job.
58. Saylor.org – Saylor Foundation offers free and open classes of college level courses with certificate upon completion of each course.
59. SDSN.edu – Educational materials from world’s leading experts on sustainable development.
60. Sobat.org – School of Business and Trade (SoBaT) offers free computer accounting education.
61. SoundviewPro.com – It provides video courses on critical business skills such as “Leveraging the strategic power of visuals.”, “People skills that create success.”, “Crisis management in business.” and more.
62. UniMOOC – Tec – Teaches basics of web development introduction, XML introduction and history of the internet.
63. UNINETTUNO OpenupEd – “University without boundaries”. Their courses are available in Italian, English, Arabic and French on areas such as engineering, communication, law, psychology, economics and literature.
64. UoPeople – University of the People “World’s first non-profit, tuition-free, accredited, online academic institution.” It provides undergraduate degrees in business administration and computer science.
65. UP2U – Currently they are offering courses based on WCAG and Adlab.
66. Virtual Linguistics Campus – Platform to learn both theoretical and applied linguistics through certified linguistic courses and materials.
67. WEU (World Education University) – They offer free college level education to everyone. All they ask is that you honour “The WEU Pay-it-Forward Pledge™” to share it others.
“You can never be overdressed or overeducated.”
― Oscar Wilde
68. WizIQ – A platform to provide systems for comprehensive training and teaching.
69. World Mentoring Academy (WMA) – Making many courses from leading education universities of the world available at your fingertips.
70. The Writing University – Just what the name suggests, they provide open courses on writing – fiction, poetry and songs.
71. Younico – It’s an Russia based MOOC provider which offers both free and paid courses on topics ranging from IT to psychology.
Major Non-English MOOC Providers
Did I miss any great provider? This list will be updated regularly. Stay tuned and don’t forget to share the wealth of knowledge, you have just discovered.